Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre provides dedicated early childhood care in Rosedale/Albany
Choosing the right early childhood care for your family is important. If your child will be spending time in an early childhood centre, you want to know they are being cared for and educated in a way that matches your families’ values.
Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre is a privately owned and operated early childhood centre run by involved owners Karyn and Bruce Poole and a qualified Centre Manager. Karyn comes from a teaching background while Bruce has experience of running his own business as well as working in service industries. The couple are frequently at the centre, with Bruce acting as centre handyman and cook when needed and are backed by a team of dedicated early childhood teachers.
At Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre, we empower our children to become confident, independent lifelong learners by providing an engaging learning environment where children are given every opportunity, encouragement, guidance and support to ‘reach for the stars’, and to develop to their full potential. Children at our centre are shown love and nurtured while they learn with teaching principles based on established philosophies including Reggio Emilia and Magda Gerber.
If you would like to see if Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre is right for your family, you can give us a call, send us an email or even just pop in and visit – our Centre Manager would welcome the opportunity to show you around.
Make an Enquiry
Infants (3 months- 2 years)
Our infant room caters for very young children. Children are assigned a primary caregiver who will work with them closely to help them settle in.
Toddlers (2 – 3.5 years)
In our toddler room, children are given time to learn at their own pace within a guided structure of daily routines.
Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre follows Te Whāriki and leading early learning approaches
Our centre’s educational philosophy is based on three pillars of education.
Te Whāriki is the name of the New Zealand Early Childhood Curriculum Framework. It provides guidelines for education and care of children from birth to six years of age and is based on the aspirations that children grow up:
- as competent and confident learners and communicators
- healthy in mind, body, and spirit
- secure in their sense of belonging
- secure in the knowledge that they make a valued contribution to society
Te Whāriki follows four basic principles of Empowerment, Holistic development, Family and Community and Relationships and five strands of learning – Well-being, Contribution, Belonging, Communication and Exploration. Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre also supports the bi-cultural heritage of New Zealand and Te Tiriti O Waitangi.
R.I.E /Magda Gerber Philosophy
The foundation of the R.I.E. Philosophy and its principals is RESPECT. We honour each child’s unique capabilities and encourage them to reach developmental milestone as they are ready. This philosophy includes 10 principles of caregiving including modelling the behaviour you want to teach, learning each child’s unique way of communicating and letting children try to solve problems on their own. Young children have a primary caregiver to build a relationship with.
Reggio Emilia Approach
Probably the most well-known aspect of this approach is the concept of a Hundred Languages. This is the belief that children use many different ways to show their understanding and express their thoughts and creativity. A hundred different ways of thinking, of discovering, of learning. Through drawing and sculpting, through dance and movement, through painting and pretend play, through modelling and music, and that each one of these Hundred Languages must be valued and nurtured.
Why choose Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre when you need early childhood care?
There are many early childhood centres in Albany and the surrounding areas so what makes Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre stand out? Here are 10 great reasons why our daycare is right for your family.
- We are a privately owned centre with hands-on owners. Unlike some centre owners, we are actively involved and know the children who attend our centre.
- We have great teacher-child ratios. Our ratios exceed the minimum Ministry requirements, ensuring children always have a group of caring teachers on hand to help them.
- Over 80% of our staff are qualified. We have over 80% qualified teachers and our non-qualified staff are all working towards qualifying.
- Our centre has 3 separate rooms for different ages and stages. Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre is licensed for just 85 children with a maximum of 25 under-2s. This combined with our room structure means your child will never get lost or be overwhelmed and contributes to our family feel.
- Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre is in a great location. Our centre is in a quiet crescent with plenty of easy parking but away from the traffic and fumes of the main road.
- We have large and well-resourced outdoor areas for each age group.
- We have been refurbished both indoors and outdoors. We are very well-resourced.
- Children are provided with freshly prepared home cooked meals. These are prepared inhouse each day by our Centre Cook.
- Hygiene is a high priority.Babies and toddlers spend a lot of time on the floor, so we make sure our carpets are thoroughly cleaned regularly as well as professional cleaners coming in every evening to thoroughly clean and sanitise the Centre. Toys and resources are cleaned and sanitised daily.
- Parents are fully involved. At Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre we encourage parents to be involved in their child’s learning. Children have learning portfolio’s which are maintained and updated from the time they start until the time they leave, we run social media pages, we hold regular parent events and evenings, and we hold family events.
- Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre offers competitive fees without compromising our high standards. We know childcare can be expensive, so our fees are competitive. The 20 hours subsidy is available for 3-5-year-olds.
- All cultures are embraced and celebrated. Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre is a multi-cultural centre with families and staff from many backgrounds. We are also committed to New Zealand’s bicultural heritage and include Māori culture within our centre’s routines.
Think Reach for the Stars Early Learning Centre might be the right fit for your family? Read what some of our other happy families have to say in our testimonials and view our latest ERO report. Then contact our early learning centre to arrange a time to come and visit or pop in at any time. If you are ready to enrol, fill out the enrolment form to begin the process.
Find out more about...
Twinkling Stars (Infants)
Our Twinkling room caters for children from 3 months to approximately two-years-old. Children are assigned a primary caregiver to assist their settling.
Shining Stars (Toddlers)
The Shining Stars room is for children aged from approximately two to three and a half-years-old. Here children are provided more challenging opportunities, time, and space to develop new skills at their own pace.
Shooting Stars (Pre-School)
In the Shooting Stars room, children approximately three to five-year-olds are exposed to daily routines and activities that will help them thrive at school as well as being able to learn through play and increase their social competence.